The Huchuy Qosqo Trek to Machu Picchu is an ancient Inca path, which has an amazing scenery. We will have stunning views of local villages, llamas and alpacas. We will observe dramatic mountain peaks and a variety of local flora and fauna, as well as walking along the footpaths of the ancients on the Inca Trail. You are going to embark on an unforgettable experience. The signature archeological site of this trek is Huchuy Qosqo (3,600 m/11,800 ft), this place was probably established as a royal estate by the Inca emperor which dates back to 1400 CE. We will be setting up camp on day 1, on day 2 there will be guided tours in the morning. Huchuy Qosqo provides a picturesque environment to see examples of the master architecture of the Incas. You will have breathtaking views of the Sacred Valley and Urubamba Mountain range.
After two days of hiking we will take our journey to Aguas Calientes by train. On day 3 we will visit the majestic city of Machu Picchu. Our standard package includes the premium services of the Vistadome train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes. The second night will include lodging in a nice hotel, and dinner at a very nice restaurant in Aguas Calientes. Included in your ticket is being able to climb Huayna Picchu Mountain after your Machu Picchu Tour.
We will pick you up early from your hotel and head to the Inca site of Tambomachay (3,700 m/ 12,139 ft), it will take 30 minutes. Along the way we will pass Sacsayhuaman, Q’enqo, and Puca Pucara. Tambomachay is the trailhead for this trek, this is where we will meet our team – the horses, muleteers, and chef. Once we arrive we will pack our gear onto the horses and start the trek.
We begin by hiking gentle doing a steep uphill climb for two hours until we reach the first pass at (4,100 m/13,451ft). During this portion of the hike there are gorgeous views of Cusco and the surrounding mountains. You will see lots of fields with crops growing. After that we will hike downhill for 45 minutes to Qoricocha lake, and this is a spectacular place to relax and enjoy our lunch.
After lunch, we will hike for 35 minutes to the second pass, and highest point of our Huchuy Qosqo Trek to Machu Piccchu (4,200 m/13,779 ft). Over here we will have time to take some photos of the village and the surrounding areas. From this location, the remaining day trek will be downhill. It will be approximately 4 hours for the trek through scenic valleys, a canyon, and hike on the original Inca Trail. The day will end at our campsite in one of the terraces of the Huchuy Qosqo Inca Site (3,600m/11,808ft).
- Meals: Lunch / Dinner
- Accommodation: Camping
- Distance: 14 km / 9 miles
- Highest Altitude: 4200 m. / 13779 Ft.
- Lowest Altitude: 3600 m. / 11808 Ft.
- Time: 7 - 8 hours
- Difficulty: Moderate
We will wake up with coca tea or coffee along with a wonderful breakfast. After breakfast, we will have an extensive tour of the Huchuy Qosqo archeological site.
After our tour we will hike downhill for 2 to 3 hours to Lamay village (3,000 m/ 9,840 ft). From here our bus will drive us to Ollantaytambo Town (2,840 m / 9,315 ft). In Ollantaytambo we will have our lunch with the group then we will have time to do a short walking tour through the streets of the town.
From Ollantaytambo we will catch the luxury Vistadome train to Aguas Calientes. Once we arrive you will check in to your hotel room. In town you will discover there are natural hot springs, it’s a great way to spend your late afternoon/ early evening if time premits before dinner. Dinner will be at a really nice restaurant in town.
- Meals: Breakfast / Lunch
- Accommodation: Hotel
- Distance: 3 km, 1.5 miles
- Highest Altitude: 3600 m. / 11808 Ft.
- Lowest Altitude: 3000 m. / 9840 Ft.
- Time: 2 - 3 hours
- Difficulty: Moderate
We will have an early start today, we plan on catching the bus at 5:30am, breakfast will be at the hotel. Along the way to Machu Picchu you will see a magnificent sunrise. Once we are there we will do a 2-hour walking tour of the citadel of Machu Picchu.
If you elected to climb Huayna Picchu Mountain (the price is included in your Huchuy Qosqo Trek price), you will begin the hike at 10am. If you are not climbing the mountain, you will have free time to explore the site more, you can hike the Sun Gate or the Inca Bridge before you return to Aguas Calientes by bus.
From Aguas Calientes you will board the expedition train to Ollantaytambo. from Ollantaytambo you will travel by private bus to Cusco and we will drop you off at your hotel. Arrival time in Cusco depends on the time of your train ticket.
- Meals: Breakfast
- Highest Altitude: 2440 m. / 8052 Ft.
- Lowest Altitude: 2040 m. / 6691 Ft.
- • Bilingual Spanish/English speaking tour guide (additional tour guide for groups of nine people or more)
- • Pre-Departure Briefing at your hotel 1 or 2 days before your trek.
- • Pick up from your hotel and transportation to Tambomachay
- • Four-person tent for every 2 people.
- • Foam mattress
- • Kitchen tent
- • Dining tent with tables and chairs
- • Toilet tent
- • Chef
- • Muleteers and horses to carry all the equipment (food, tents, chairs, table, etc.)
- • Horse to transport 8 kg of your personal gear
- • Duffle bag for your personal gear
- • Emergency horse in case we need it
- • Two breakfasts, two lunches, and two dinners
- • Hot water for washing.
- • Daily morning boiled and cold water to fill the water bottles.
- • Emergency oxygen bottle and medical kit.
- • train ticket from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes
- • Expedition train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
- • One night hotel accommodation in Aguas Calientes (double occupancy)
- • Entrance to Machu Picchu
Services Not Included
- • Sleeping bag air mattress and walking poles – you can rent one from us
- • Day 1 Breakfast
- • Day 2 dinner & day 3 lunch in Aguas Calientes
- • Tips for the crew
What to Bring
- • Original passport (if you have acquired a new one after you made your booking, bring both)
- • Down or synthetic feather sleeping bag (can be rented from us)
- • Clothes (trekking boots, warm fleece jacket, tops, a few t-shirts, socks, sun hat, thermal underwear, light long pants, gloves, poncho, rain jacket)
- • Toiletries (toilet paper, wet wipes, personal towel)
- • Sun block, factor 35+ recommended
- • Head lamp
- • Sunglasses and sun hat
- • Camera with spare batteries – batteries run down faster at high altitudes
- • Binoculars
- • Book to read (you will have some time at every camp to read your favorite book)
- • Trekking poles (recommended especially for the steep descents, can be rented from us)
- • Insect repellent
OUR TREK RANKINGS ARE THE FOLLOWING
- • Easy
- • Moderate
- • Difficult
- • Challenging
- • Demanding